What data is being collected?
We collect information when you start our courses. This information includes your address and some information about your personal circumstances (For example previous qualifications attained, address details and contact information).
Why do we collect this data?
We are required to collect some information as part of our contract with the Department for Education through the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA). This contract means we receive funding to pay for courses and activities. We also use information so we can check our performance and ensure we are reaching different groups of people across Bristol. The data we collect can be described as:
- Identifying information – Address, name, Date of Birth, previous qualifications etc. This is to verify you are who you say you are, and enables us to pay for your course by checking if you are entitled to free or subsidised training.
- Additional information – Ethnicity, health etc. We ask these questions to check whether we reaching different groups of people across Bristol.We use your contact details during our courses. For example we may need to contact you if the venue of your course changes or is cancelled.
- Finally we may contact you to make you aware of new courses or opportunities we think may be of interest to you. You have to opt in to receive this information.
We are legally required to process some of this data when someone enrols onto a course as part of our contract to supply training through the Education and Skills Funding Agency. The remainder of the data ensures we are able to meet our legal contract requirements.
Will the data be shared with any third parties?We are required to share information (who attended our courses, how well they did etc.) with the Department for Education. The department has the right to share some information for education, training, employment and wellbeing related purposes, including for research.
The department creates and maintains a unique learner number (ULN) and personal learning record for all learners.
The Department have a detailed privacy notice available online.
Where we have specific data sharing agreements we may share some information with local training providers and other Council departments. This is to enable us to understand the needs of Bristol residents. No information will ever be shared for marketing purposes.
How will the information be used?
Bristol City Council use information for the following purposes:
- To contact learners and staff to inform them of changes to courses and venues.
- As required to report our activities to central government and obtain the funding to pay for our courses.
- To monitor our overall success so we can make informed choices about changes to the courses we offer.
- Where it is agreed we will contact people to let them know about new courses available in their area.
How long will my data be stored for?
Data will be stored in accordance with contractual requirements from the Department for Education. All data is securely destroyed once it is no longer required.
Data not held for DfE is deleted three full academic years after the end of your course.
What rights do I have?
As protected by law you have the right to request a copy of any information we hold about you or to have your details corrected or removed from our systems.
How can I raise a complaint?
Bristol BS4 1DQ
0117 903 9750
Or contact the Council directly:
You can call 0117 922 2723, Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm.
Visit our Citizen Service Point.
Customer Relations (100 TS)
PO Box 3176
Word version Google version