This course (based 100% outside in Water Vole Woodland) introduces participants to carrying out woodland maintenance, conservation and bush craft tasks safely. The course aims to improve participants self esteem and confidence in an outdoor environment through learning of new skills and meeting new people.
Learning outcomes include:
- Learn coppicing and pollarding techniques
- Use harvested materials to make something (for example willow weaving)
- Use natural materials to light a fire
- Identifying common woodland trees
- Demonstrate how to use tools safely
- Take part in team activities and work as part of the team
- Use knots and natural materials to create a shelter
This course is aimed at learners (aged 19+) who are looking to develop practical skills and gain knowledge of woodlands, as well as those who are looking for new and positive opportunities to engage in their community. At the end of the course, opportunities exist for participants to use and develop their skills further as a woodland/conservation Volunteer at the farm and possibly with other organisations such as Wildllife Trusts.
The course will run weekly – every Monday – from 24th February to 30th March 2020
To enrol, please contact Kerry Rowe on 0117 9381128 or email Kerry@lwfarm.org.uk