Make Words Work
This is a course for adults wishing to improve the structure and detail of their written work. The course will focus on sentence construction, parts of speech, punctuation and the power of adjectives and adverbs. There will be a particular focus on expanding learners’ vocabulary and supporting them to write persuasive and descriptive texts with added confidence. This course encourages learners to write for pleasure and support them to improve their written skills. To prepare learners for progression on to a Functional Skills English course. Learning objectives include:
- Write compound and complex sentences using a range of connectives.
- Understand how and when to use a range of punctuation.
- Understand the terms ‘noun’, ‘verb’, ‘adjective’ and ‘adverb’.
- Increase the use of descriptive and persuasive vocabulary when presenting ideas orally.
- Use adjectives and adverbs effectively in descriptive and persuasive writing.
- Understand the meanings and uses of common homophones.
- Use a dictionary and thesaurus to check spellings, word meanings and expand vocabulary.
This course is aimed at learners (aged 19+) that have qualifications lower then Level 2 (GCSE grade A-C, O-Level, etc.)
This course will run weekly – every Thursday – from 4th October to 13th December 2018
To enrol, please contact Christine Cox – Youth Education Service 0117 973 9744 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information: The venue is accessible via public transport. If a phone or email to book your place, a map and bus information can be emailed. No parking on site.