Make Words Work
Make Words Work
This course is for adults wishing to improve the structure and detail of their written work. The course will focus on sentence construction, parts of speech, punctuation, and the power of adjectives and adverbs.There will be a particular focus on expanding learners’ vocabulary and supporting them to write persuasive language and descriptive text with added confidence.
The course will encourage learners to write for pleasure and support them to improve their written skills. It will help prepare learners for progression on to a Functional Skills English course.
Learning outcomes include:
- Understand the terms noun, verb, adjective and adverb.
- Use adjectives and adverbs effectively in descriptive and persuasive writing.
- Increase use of descriptive and persuasive vocabulary when presenting ideas orally.
- Write compound and complex sentences using a range of connectors.
- Understand how and when to use a range of punctuation.
- Understand the meanings and use of common homophones.
- Understand how to use a dictionary and thesaurus to check spellings, word meanings and expand vocabulary
- Understand the terms synonym and antonym.
This course is open to learners (aged 19+) with few or no qualifications looking to improve their English. This course is suitable for learners with E3 level English and learners wanting to build confidence to study Functional Skills English qualifications.
The course will run weekly – every Tuesday– from 27th April to 29th June 2021.
To register your interest, please call 0117 9739744 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Further info – The venue is accessible via public transport. If you phone or email to book your place, a map and bus information can be sent to you. There is no parking on site.