Don’t lose your vote

11th April 2023

There are a series of major changes to UK elections including voter ID coming soon.

Voter ID: Voter Authority Certificate (

“Use this service to apply for a ‘Voter Authority Certificate’. You can use it to vote in person in some UK elections and referendums. You cannot use it as proof of identification for any other reason.

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

You only need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate if:

  • you do not have accepted photo ID
  • you no longer look like the photo on your ID
  • the name on your photo ID is different to your name on the electoral register

Bristol does not have local elections this May but it’s worth getting this done ready

If the name on your photo ID is different, you can register to vote again or take a document with you to vote that proves that you have changed your name.