What is the Prevent duty?
We must have due regard to the need to prevent people being drawn into terrorism as required by law from 2015.
“vocal or active opposition to fundamental British Values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.”
We will be required:
- Assessing the risk of vulnerable individuals being drawn into terrorism.
- Demonstrate that they we are protecting children and young people from being drawn into terrorism by having robust safeguarding policies.
- Ensure that their safeguarding arrangements take into account the policies and procedures of the Local Safeguarding Children Board.
- Make sure that staff have training that gives them the knowledge and confidence to identify children and others at risk of being drawn into terrorism, and to challenge extremist ideas which can be used to legitimise terrorism
- Expected to ensure children and others are safe from terrorist and extremist material when accessing the internet