Functional Skills Maths
The course is aimed at adults who wish to develop their Maths skills and gain a Functional Skills Maths qualification. Learners will identify their current skills and knowledge and develop their essential maths skills in a supportive environment. Learners will develop and apply maths skills to practical, everyday maths problems. Topics will include money skills, metric measures (length, weight, capacity) and fractions. Learners will solve practical maths problems.
A variety of resources will be used such as card activities – follow-on games, matching cards and maths dominoes – and paper-based resources. Real-life resources such as food items of different weights will also be used.
The course will provide opportunities for learners to develop their maths skills and apply these skills to practical, everyday maths problems and gain a Functional Skills Maths qualification.
The learning outcomes include:
- Order and compare whole numbers and decimal numbers
- Carry out calculations and check results; use a calculator calculate and/or check results
- Solve maths problems identifying the calculations needed, giving reasons for any choices made
- Read analogue and digital times; calculate lengths of time
- Order metric measures by size; solving metric measure problems
- Order fractions by size, calculate fractions of amounts
- Read lists, tables and charts and extract data
- Identify 2D and 3D shapes and solve problems involving symmetry
The course is aimed at Entry level 2 to Level 1 learners (aged 19+) , particularly those who haven’t already got a maths qualification.
The course will run weekly – every Monday – from 7th January to 22nd July 2019
To enrol Y.E.S. on 0117 9739744 to arrange an informal interview.
Further info: The venue is accessible by public transport and a map can be sent out to you.